Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Kids say the darndest things...

Not a lot has changed in the past month, but it sure feels like July has been hectic. We had the Lane clan out here for the fourth. It was a fairly quiet holiday, except for family game time. I think I have the most competitive family on earth, but it makes for an interesting time together. :)
We have finally gotten over the job scare with Rick's work, but I think he is still wanting to look into another career. He's been looking into some landscaping schools. I don't know how he does it working all day in the heat and dealing with some pretty crazy stuff sometimes. I am very proud of his work ethic though. He always does his best and some nights we go to some of his parks where he ends up fixing things when he isn't even on paid time.
Some rather sad news recently...Our kitty Sam disappeared about two weeks ago and we found out last week that he was hit by a car around the corner from us. We felt horrible because we had had him since he was a few weeks old and he was a part of our family. He was a very special kitty. He was incredibly smart and had a lot of personality for a cat. He had just adopted a little kitten two doors down and would let him/her cuddle with him on our porch. The kitten still comes around looking for him. Even though he had his quirks as all animals do, we will sure miss him. Hayden keeps asking "Where is Sammy?" I just say he went to live with Jesus, Aunt Bonnie and Scampi (Bonnie's dog).
Hayden is doing really well. He is turning out to be such a funny, sweet little boy. Although he is going through the authority phase where he tests us and he knows exactly what to do to get out of being punished for something. If I catch him doing something wrong, I'll get down to his level and look him in the eye and say "Do you need a timeout?" and he'll just look straight back into my eyes and put his little hands on my cheeks and say "What's a matter, mommy?" or "Sah-wy (sorry), mommy" with a low, solemn little voice. Sometimes he'll caress my face as if he's trying to calm me down so I can't get mad at him.
Bed time has been a struggle lately. Last night we went to put him down and I shut the door and went into my room only to hear his little voice crying out "Hayden wants a time out! Hayden wants a time out!" (Apparently, time out is better than going to bed.)
We always get a kick out of this little guy. He is such a ham and knows what makes us tick and what makes us melt. So smart for such a little guy. It's amazing how fast they grow.

4 comments:

Amber said...

That's so sad about Sam. :(
I loved reading about Hayden's latest lines though. And the new pics you posted of him are so fun! Can't wait until we get together next, friend!

J said...

hey! I don't have an email address for you so I didn't know how else to get a hold of you. I started our Wyoming blog sriggspots.blogspot.com and I have Vanessa's Scholastic information if you are interested in ordering cheap books email me at spencerriggs@yahoo.com. Have a great day!
Jessica

Colleen said...

I just found your blog on facebook, now you just need to WRITE!!! :)

Jodi and Josh said...

Hi Lisa!!!
I just found your blog through Sallys!! I can't believe how big your little guy is!! He's so cute!!
My blog is private, but if you want to check it out, drop me a line at jodilybbert@yahoo.com!!
I totally miss hanging out with you at Datamark!! Good times!!
-Jodi